Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Cold Does Bother Me Anyway // a book review


 It's time for the grand finale of Hannah & Olivia's Reviews! (not that it's the very last one ever...because that would be sad)

 As some of you know, in October and November Olivia (from The Cwtch) and I picked out a book to read and reviewed it on each others blogs. It was pretty epic. This month, since it's Christmas and everything, we decided to mix it up a bit - this time we each recommended a favorite holiday book for the other to read.

 I recommended The Magician's Elephant by Kate Dicamillo to Olivia - make sure you check out her lovely post about it here!

 And to me, she recommended Dancing Through the Snow by Jean Little.





"So far", Min reminded herself, "You have loved nobody and nobody has loved you."

Dancing Through the Snow is about a young girl named Min, who was abandoned as a small child and has gone from foster home to foster home since then. She's very quiet and (for good reason) has trouble trusting other people. This book is about one winter when her life starts to turn around.

A lot of Christmassy books out there are about happy people in their cozy homes, surrounded by friends and family who love them. It was truly an eye-opener to read a book about a girl who has nothinig.

 Despite it having a rather sad premise, this really isn't a sad book. It's actually a very sweet and heartwarming book. The characters (the good ones, anyway!) are so likable and funny. Even though it's not long, you get really attached to the characters and interested in their lives.

 Another great thing is that there are some adorable pets in this book. As an animal lover, this was a real plus for me :)


 I thought it was pretty cool that this is a book by a Canadian author, set in Canada, and recommended to me by my Canadian buddy. It sounds very cold there, though.



 I'm so glad Olivia picked this book out for me! It was the perfect thing to read over Christmas.


***


 In case you missed them, here are our reviews from the past months!

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald:
Olivia's Thoughts on the Not-So-Great Gatsby
Hannah Throws Shoes at The Great Gatsby

These Broken Stars by Aimee Kaufman and Megan Spooner:
TBH about TBS (Olivia)
These Broken Feels (Hannah)

The Magician's Elephant:
Christmas and Snow and Elephants, Oh My! (Olivia)

love,
Hannah

6 comments:

  1. Oh, last review, sadness :( I really love reading your swap reviews. This seems like a very interesting book. I'm not much of a seasonal book type o' girl, but or whenever I do feel like a freezing cold winter book, I should give this one a go! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm really glad you liked our review series! Hopefully Olivia and I will be up to our bookish shenanigans again sometime soon?! :)

      Delete
  2. That looks like a really interesting book!! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a clever idea to swap book recommendations with each other! :) It's a shame this is your last swap with each other, but I'm sure you two will find some other fun features to do together!

    And I'll definitely have to give this one a try! Maybe next Christmas? ;) Thanks for sharing Hannah, and great review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete